Thursday, January 16, 2014

Geckos are Everywhere

As I may have remarked before, our house is surrounded and infused with geckos. There are literally hundreds of them. We see them all over the ceiling and walls of our back porch, hear them chirping merrily from the walls of our bedrooms, and occasionally they will fall off the ceiling and scare the bejeezus out of us when they land on the floor. For the most part, we like them, because they eat lots and lots of bugs.
A pack of geckos hanging around the porch ceiling.
However, for some reason, they've been showing up in unlikely places over the past few days. A couple of nights ago I was preparing to use the toilet when I heard a "sploosh" sound coming from the bowl. At first, I thought something had fallen out of my pockets, so I turned back around to face the toilet, lifted the seat, and saw this little guy.
At least he didn't try to sell me car insurance.
Unfortunately he couldn't get out of the bowl, and I wasn't about to use the toilet with him scrambling around in there. So I reached in to the bowl, noted with mild disgust that someone had used the toilet without flushing earlier in the day, and grabbed the gecko. His tail promptly fell of onto the floor and started squirming the zombie lizard tail dance, so I stepped over it, opened the front door, and placed the reptilian interloper gently on the outside wall of our house. I picked up the tail and just chucked it outside (he'll grow a new one soon enough).

Tonight as I was preparing to wash the dinner dishes, I was putting away last night's dishes, when I picked up a tea cup and found this little fellow.
This guys is very, very tiny, probably recently hatched, and could not climb out of this cup. We placed him in Liam's terrarium and will release him in the morning.

Wonder where they'll turn up next??

1 comment: