Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Creatures

One of the big draws for many people who come to Belize is the wildlife. This is certainly true for us. However, I was not expecting our house to be so thoroughly surrounded and inundated by this biodiversity. Of course the boys are absolutely thrilled by all of the various creatures; the only rule we established is they cannot catch anything until they know with absolute certainty that it is not poisonous, venomous, or otherwise capable of causing serious injury.

Here is a sampling of some of the creatures:

Silky anole (?)

Gecko

Large black scorpion, right outside our back door

Very small frog Liam caught in a puddle, still not sure which species

Blue land crab (this one is dead, and therefore much easier to photograph)

Gulf Coast Toad


Hourglass tree frog

An unknown species of tree frog

American crocodile (in the backyard)

Black anole. Liam caught this one using a noose tied from a palm frond, shown to him by a local kid

Wish Willy (aka black iguana)

Green iguana--we have a whole nest in the backyard

7 comments:

  1. OK... I could NEVER make it in Belize!!! I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that I could possibly end up with a scorpion in my bed or a crocodile in my yard....AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Nightmare city!!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liam
    looks like your having a lot of fun in Belize. A lot more fun than I'm having in boring old Seattle.
    F.Y.I. I'M Getting jace beleren from Liam in case you want it. By the way could you catch me one of those iguanas as a pet? Best wishes, Galen.
    P.S. Nice shoulder frog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Liam
    Last comment I said I got jace from Liam, I meant to Wright Leo. My bad, Galen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Galen! Liam says: yes, I am having fun in Belize! My shoulder's frog name is 'Hoppy Go Lucky.' That's what I name all my frog friends. I'll trade you my Jace for your Jace.

    P.S.--I got the Deck Builder's Toolkit for my birthday, and pulled a Yeva Nature's Herald! I also built a Selesnya deck.
    P.P.S.--would you like a baby iguana or a grown-up iguana?
    P.P.P.S.--I just said this because there's so many Ps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I was kidding about the iguana. I've got yeva too. Also Leo decided not to give me jace . Sorry. Hope to see you soon (Skype). Yours truly Galen

      Delete
  5. We love to hear your adventures and see your pictures. Especially since we are older and the only adventures that we do are fishing and camping in the Uintas.

    ReplyDelete